• 2 cups cooked rice
• 2 cups cooked penne pasta
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin , divided
• 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
• 1 cup cooked lentils
• 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
• 3 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
• 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 2 cups), optional*
1. Combine rice and pasta; spoon in bottom of shallow serving platter. Keep warm.
2. Whisk together vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Add cooked lentils and stir to combine. Spoon over rice and pasta.
3. Combine tomatoes, water, sugar, cinnamon, salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin and red pepper in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in squash. Spoon tomato mixure over lentil layer. Partially stir tomato mixture into other layers, but do not completely combine all layers. If desired, prepare crisp-brown onions as directed below and add as a topping.
Back to: Egypt Recipes